Skip to content

Hit and Run Car Accidents

Careless drivers causing death or bodily harm could get a maximum penalty of a $50,000 fine, up to two years in jail and a licence suspension of up to five years.
Report the accident to the police or a collision reporting centre (CRC) within 24 hours.

What to do in a hit and run accident

1. If anyone was injured during the hit and run accident, call 911.

2. Ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident to get information about the driver, car(s) involved and accident.

Don’t forget to get their contact information in case the police or your insurer needs to follow up. If possible, gather the following:

  • Licence plate number
  • The other vehicle’s make, model and colour
  • Description of the other driver
  • Direction the other vehicle was headed
  • Location, time and cause of the accident
  • Photos of the damage to your vehicle, especially if the other car’s paint is visible where the impact took place
  • Photos of the accident scene
  • Description of damage to the other vehicle

3. Report the accident to the police or a collision reporting centre (CRC) within 24 hours.

Your report helps the police apprehend the guilty party. Give them all the information you’ve gathered, as well as the names and numbers of any witnesses.

Can I Get Collision Reports Online?

Yes, once the report has been filed and processed, you can get a copy of your collision report online through Service Ontario. They can be ordered online 20 days after the collision report was filed. To gain access to the report you will be required to supply your driver’s license number, collision report number, and MTO collision reference number. $12 fee applies.

Order a collision report online here.

Ontario Collision Reporting Centres

There are more than 30 collision reporting centres dispersed across the province of Ontario.

GTA Collision Reporting Centres

Collision reporting centre Toronto : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Newmarket : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Scarborough : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Mississauga : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre North York : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Whitby : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Brampton : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Ajax (Durham) : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Halton North : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Halton South : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Halton West : Contact Information

Hamilton and Niagara Region Collision Reporting Centres

Collision reporting centre Niagara Falls : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Welland : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre St. Catharines : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Hamilton Central : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Hamilton East : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Hamilton Mountain : Contact Information

Additional Collision Reporting Centres In Ontario

Collision reporting centre Barrie : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Bellville : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Brantford : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Chatham-Kent : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Guelph : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Ottawa : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre London : Contact Information
Collision reporting centre Kingston : Contact Information
OPP collision reporting centre: Contact Information

NOTE – Not all cities have an accident reporting centre. If you are involved in an accident in a towns or rural area in Ontario that does NOT have a reporting centre, call the local police department.

Get a full list of Ontario collision reporting centres here.

4. Notify your auto insurance company.

If you want to file a not-at-fault insurance claim, note that most insurance companies require that any hit-and-run damage be reported to the police within 24 hours for the claim to be considered a hit-and-run.

What not to do

1. Don’t follow a driver who flees the scene.

Not only is it unsafe, but you might miss getting eyewitness accounts. Instead, call the police and provide any identifying information to them.

2. Don’t wait to call the police or your auto insurance company.

The official accident report will help police look for the missing driver and will be useful when you file your accident claim.

How does a hit-and-run affect your auto insurance premium?

A hit-and-run accident claim is paid out under the collision coverage of your auto insurance policy. You may be able to avoid this cost if you have a $0 deductible coverage included on your policy. Note that hit-and-run accidents are typically the only accident in which you are not at fault for which you will be required to pay your collision deductible.

However, if the driver who hit your car can be identified, the loss may be paid out under the Direct compensation property damage coverage of your policy which is normally not subject to a deductible. For this reason, it’s always best to speak to any potential witnesses.

All is well that ends well

A “hit and run” is when a person involved in an accident leaves without identifying itself. What to do if you are the victim of a hit and run?

Settlement process in a hit and run

  1. Police report release
    Contact the police as soon as possible. They will fill in and give you the number of the report. Note that some police forces no longer draw up reports for hit and runs. This does not affect your claim. You can then contact your insurer or broker directly.
  2. Contact your insurer
    Call your insurer or broker as soon as possible. Send him a copy of the police report number.
  3. Appraise the damage
    Your insurer will examine your vehicle to appraise the damage and establish the cost of repairs. He may suggest a garage for the repairs. You may also choose your own.
  4. Agree on a settlement
    Your insurer will repair your car according to the terms and conditions under your policy.
  5. Indemnity payment
    Depending on the agreement, your insurer may indemnify you or reimburse the garage directly.


You will be compensated if you purchased collision coverage (“All Perils” or “Collision or Upset” under Section B of your policy). Your insurer will indemnify you within 60 days following receipt of your request and the supporting documents. For a speedy claims settlement, make sure you have all the relevant documents handy.


The insurer will deduct the amount of the policy deductible from the compensation. A number of insurers offer no deductible coverage for hit and runs. Check it out!